DAZN records 12.8m streaming hours in Spain

MotoGP and UFC among most-watched content for Spanish subscribers.

DAZN records 12.8m streaming hours in Spain

Getty Images

Subscribers to DAZN’s dedicated sports streaming service in Spain have watched more than 12.8 million hours of content since its launch in February, led by coverage of the Catalonia MotoGP on 16th June.

According to data collected by the over-the-top (OTT) platform, 56 per cent of users streamed programming via connected TVs, compared to 27 per cent via mobile devices, and 17 per cent on computers.

By gender, 85 per cent of subscribers in DAZN are men, with the majority of users concentrated in Madrid, Barcelona and Valencia, followed by Seville, Alicante and Malaga.

Between live and on-demand content, 76 per cent of the all hours watched were in real-time, with the remaining 24 per cent covering post-event programming.

The findings also claim that 63 per cent of users watch DAZN’s coverage with friends and family, which is said to be higher than other markets where the streaming service is present.

Among DAZN’s most-watched sports in Spain include motorsport, soccer, MMA, boxing and tennis, with MotoGP star Marc Márquez’s win last month at Circuit of Barcelona-Catalunya receiving the highest viewing time.

DAZN Spain’s second most-watched production came in the quarter-final stages of Copa America, South America’s international soccer competition, as Lionel Messi’s Argentina defeated Venezuela 2-0 in Rio de Janeiro on 28th June.

Other popular events have included an Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) production in Las Vegas on 3rd March; Mexican boxer Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez’s middleweight unification bout US fighter Daniel Jacobs on 5th May; and Spanish tennis ace Garbiñe Muguruza’s three-set victory over the Netherland’s Kiki Bertens during the Indian Wells Masters.