Addressing motorsports' new horizon - Watch on demand
The BlackBook Virtual Summit brought industry leaders together to discuss the new path motorsport has been placed on.
In an uncertain world, motorsport needs to adapt. The pressures of a global pandemic, climate change and rapid digitalisation requires bold changes in order for motorsport to remain relevant and continue to grow. We heard from some of the rights holders, brands and manufacturers facing the challenge.
Register below to watch the three on-demand sessions.
Session 1: A vision of the future
14:00 - 15:00 BST
A more inclusive and sustainable world lies ahead, but does motorsport fit in this picture considering its past? There is a change happening and there are no better examples of this than in Formula E, Extreme E and the W Series. In this session we talk innovation, equality and sustainability to better understand their vision of the future.
- What lessons can motorsport learn from worldwide fears surrounding Covid-19, and how can our industry leverage this concern to aid in the ongoing fight against climate change?
- How does promoting equality in motorsport translate in terms of commercial interest, appeal, demographics, and overall marketability in this traditionally male dominated environment? What message does this send?
- Why is continuous innovation vital within sport and what trends and opportunities could be revealed within the next decade in motorsport?
Session 2: Brand strategy in a new reality
15:00 - 16:00 BST
In such an uncertain global economy with unprecedented restrictions and faced with motorsport in transition, the industry’s major partners are having to react to a change in the status quo. Focusing on three key brands invested in motorsport, all of which providing technological and knowledge based support to racing, we discuss the new reality and the challenges being faced.
- How can brands adapt, given a post-pandemic landscape, along with sustainability pressures and the push for greater equality and diversity?
- Where can value be derived given limited racing and limited interaction with fans?
- What changes have partner brands had to implement within the last few months given the support usually provided to motorsport?
Session 3: The Manufacturers dilemma
16:00 - 17:00 BST
Manufacturer backing in top level motorsport remains high but with sales falling and an ever stronger focus on priorities, what does the landscape look like for car companies moving forward.
- What are the key drivers for a manufacturer to continue investing in its motorsport programmes?
- How has a renewed focus on financial controls, including cost caps, helped drive decisions about the future of OEM participation?
- What are the future opportunities for manufacturers in motorsport?