Formula One has been given the green light to proceed with plans to stage a Grand Prix on the streets of Miami from next year.
The global motorsport series’ proposal was unanimously approved on Thursday by the city’s commission. A host city contract will now be drawn up and studied by the local authority before 1st July.
The exact timing of the race would be subject to further discussions, but Formula One has said that it hopes to stage the inaugural Miami Grand Prix in October 2019.
“With the unanimous votes at both the City of Miami and Miami-Dade County’s Economic Development and Tourism Committee, we are very pleased to have received preliminary approval towards bringing a Formula One Grand Prix to Miami,” said Sean Bratches, managing director of commercial operations at Formula One.
“We recognise that this is only the start of the process and we will immediately get to work with the various community stakeholders, the City of Miami, the Port of Miami, Bayfront Park Management Trust and others, in order to reach a final agreement. Formula One in Miami represents a fantastic opportunity to bring the greatest racing spectacle on the planet to one of the world’s most iconic cities, and we are delighted that the journey is underway.”
Plans for the new event were first revealed last week. Texas has hosted the US Grand Prix since 2012, but Formula One has made no secret of its desire to add a second race in the country. If plans are approved, it would be the first street race in the US since a Grand Prix in Arizona, Phoenix in 1991.